killitwithfire: Axel's sexy smirky smile (got it memorized?)
[personal profile] killitwithfire
The sky is on fire. Of course, it's always on fire here, a world of perpetual sunset - or sunrise, depending on your perspective. There's pain for Axel in this world, but it's an easy one to get to, and easy is what matters in this particular case.

When he steps out of the dark, and into the twilight, he can't help grinning; pain or not, it's good to be somewhere familiar.

"Welcome to Twilight Town, Anton. Told you I'd show you this place, didn't I?"

Date: 2006-12-21 12:34 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] cynical-light.livejournal.com
"Yes, you did," I answer, looking around. This place feels weird, as if the Gloom was around every corner waiting to pounce upon me like a bleeding, helpless fool.

Date: 2006-12-21 12:41 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] cynical-light.livejournal.com
"I always keep my eyes open," I reply, tapping my brow to emphasize the point. "You remember I told you I was on the Nightwatch?"

A small joke.

Date: 2006-12-21 12:45 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] cynical-light.livejournal.com
"Only Twilight," I say, not quite comfortable with that. There's no borders, which means there's no division. It's one thing to encounter such a circumstance in an individual, another to find a place without the light and dark.

Date: 2006-12-21 12:56 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] cynical-light.livejournal.com
"I should think so," I answer. "What did you bring me for? Just to prove that it existed?"

I turn to look at him.

"And are you all right? Adjusting with..."

With his heart.

Date: 2006-12-21 01:05 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] cynical-light.livejournal.com
A small laugh.

"I'm sure. You were smiling so much after you had some time to think. I'm glad for you."

Sometimes I wonder at my own heart. Sometimes it feels cold, having sat out as I allowed all manner of things to happen to maintain the Balance.

Date: 2006-12-21 01:10 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] cynical-light.livejournal.com
I pull up my own hood and follow him.

"It's strange, that we were able to leave."

Date: 2006-12-21 01:23 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] cynical-light.livejournal.com
"I like to think I was right," I answer with a laugh. "Most men do."

Date: 2006-12-21 02:15 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] cynical-light.livejournal.com
"I try to be truthful," I answer. "When I can be anyway. Too many lies in the world not to, too many secrets."

Date: 2006-12-21 02:18 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] cynical-light.livejournal.com
"They also make the world darker," I answer, "harder to see clearly, harder to navigate."

Date: 2006-12-21 02:25 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] cynical-light.livejournal.com
"In the shit," I say, serious but also, playful. When you're standing in the shit, you either laugh or cry or go mad. I don't think the last is really an option, not if I want to keep living. And the second is too wasteful. Better to laugh.

Date: 2006-12-21 02:35 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] cynical-light.livejournal.com
"Yes, I suppose you have a point," I say.



"What do you think might happen if I slipped into the Gloom? Or tried to."

Date: 2006-12-21 02:39 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] cynical-light.livejournal.com
"I feel as if I might stumble on the Gloom," I say, almost as if to myself. And that's what it feels like.

Date: 2006-12-21 02:47 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] cynical-light.livejournal.com
I don't answer him, choosing instead to enter the Gloom much as I had when I was first learning, moving into it with one step and moving out in the next. Where it had been an exercise before, now it's as if I'm merely stepping a bit to the left.

Easy.

"Remarkable."

Date: 2006-12-21 02:51 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] cynical-light.livejournal.com
I shake my head.

"IT's never this easy."

Date: 2006-12-21 03:00 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] cynical-light.livejournal.com
I snort.

"I'm a third level at best," I reply. "A second only if God himself decided to make a miracle."

Date: 2006-12-21 03:18 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] cynical-light.livejournal.com
"It's like someone made a world just so there was a place with the Gloom so close," I say, almost as if reading from a card. It was something I had been thinking for a time.

Date: 2006-12-21 03:23 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] cynical-light.livejournal.com
I turn to look at Axel as it hits me between the eyes, like a lightning strike or a sledgehammer.

"This is the only place you could come. This is the place where those lost to the Gloom can come back out again. That's why you--"

I look at him, up and down, my friend and my companion, my partner really.

"That's why you are neither light nor dark. You're of the Gloom."

Date: 2006-12-21 03:44 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] cynical-light.livejournal.com
I nod. There's nothing else I can do.

Date: 2006-12-21 03:51 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] cynical-light.livejournal.com
"Not really," I admit. "Startling, more like. To have it confirmed."

Profile

killitwithfire: Axel's sexy smirky smile (Default)
Axel

September 2010

S M T W T F S
   1 234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627282930  

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Sep. 16th, 2026 01:42 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios